An element’s electron configuration illustrates the electron’s distribution within the atomic orbitals of the atom. Let us study the Yb electron configuration below.
Ytterbium (Yb) electron configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f14 5s2 5p6 6s2. It is the fourteenth member of the lanthanide series, silver-colored, soft element with atomic number 70. It is an eye and skin irritant and is kept in a moisture-free environment.
In this article, we will understand the Yb electron configuration along with the ground state orbital diagram of the Yb.
How to write Ytterbium Electron Configuration
We will follow the below-mentioned steps to write Yb electron configuration.
- First, we will check the outermost shell of Yb. Its outermost valence shell is sixth.
- Then, we will find the number of electrons in the Yb orbitals.
- Orbitals are written in the sequence: 1s 2s 2p 3s 3p 3d 4s 4p 4d 4f 5s 5p 5d 5f and so on.
- Following the higher capacity of orbitals, we will write the subscript and the final electron configuration of an element.
Hence, the electron configuration of Yb is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f14 5s2 5p6 6s2.
Ytterbium Electron Configuration Diagram
In accordance with the Aufbau principle, electron configuration diagram of Yb is as mentioned below.
Ytterbium Electron Configuration Notation
The Yb electron configuration notation is [Xe] 4f14 6s2. Yb consists of six valence shells. Out of which, 5d and 5f are vacant, whereas the sixth shell’s s orbital has 2 valence electrons.
Ytterbium Unabbreviated Electron Configuration
The Yb unabbreviated electron configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f14 5s2 5p6 6s2.
Ground State Ytterbium Electron Configuration
The Yb ground state electron configuration is represented as [Xe] 4f14 6s2.
Excited State of Ytterbium Electron Configuration
The Yb excited state electron configuration is represented as [Xe] 4f14 6s1. In the excited state, the rearmost shell’s valence electron goes to a higher energy level by absorbing the energy.
Ground State Ytterbium Orbital Diagram
Yb ground state orbital diagram has completely filled orbitals except the 5d and 5f orbitals. They tend to occupy 10 and 14 electrons, respectively, but no electrons are present here. The filled orbitals have both clockwise and anticlockwise spin electrons.
Yb2+ Electron Configuration
The Yb2+ electron configuration is [Xe] 4f14 or 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f14 5s2 5p6.
Yb3+ Electron Configuration
The Yb3+ electron configuration is [Xe] 4f13 or 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f13 5s2 5p6.
- The electron configuration shows the electron distribution.
- A Yb atom has 70 electrons in its atomic orbital.
- The notation shows that the Yb orbitals are filled except for the 5d and 5f orbitals.
- The Aufbau principle plays an essential role in writing the electron distribution of an atom.