Thulium is a member of lanthanide series. Let us find out details about its electronic configuration in this article.
The electrons in various energy levels of Tm are 2,8,18,31,10. Thulium is a silvery grey metal with symbol Tm. It is a f-block element. It is member of Lanthanide series. It is a rare earth element. It has an atomic number of 69. It belongs to 6th period.
We will discuss some interesting facts about Thulium in this article. We will discuss here electronic configuration, configuration diagram, configuration notation, unabbreviated electronic configuration, electronic configuration of thulium in ground and the excited state, ground state orbital diagram.
How to write thulium electron configuration?
The electronic configuration of Tm is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 5s2 5p6 4f13 5d0 6s2.
To write the electronic configuration of Thulium, electrons are filled in the atomic orbitals of Tm taking into consideration the rules given below.
- Aufbau principle which states that in the ground state of an atom, electrons are filled up in the atomic orbitals in the increasing order of their energies.
- Pauli’s exclusion principle states that maximum two electrons can occupy the same orbital. These electrons should have with opposite spin.
- Hund’s rule of Maximum Multiplicity states that first each orbital in a subshell is singly filled with one electron then electron pairing occur in them.
- Keeping in mind the above rules the electronic configuration of Tm is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 4d10 5p6 6s2 4f13.
Thulium electronic configuration diagram
The electronic configuration of Thulium is [Xe] 4f13 6s2. The distribution of electrons in various orbitals is as follows –
- The s orbital can hold maximum of 2 electrons.
- The p orbital can hold maximum of 6 electrons.
- The d orbital can hold maximum of 10 electrons.
- The f electron can hold maximum of 14 electrons.
Thulium electronic configuration notation
The electronic configuration notation of Tm is [Xe] 4f13 6s2.
Thulium unabbreviated electronic configuration
The unabbreviated electronic configuration of Tm is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 5s2 5p6 4f13 5d0 6s2.
Ground state Thulium electronic configuration
The ground state electronic configuration of Tm is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 4d10 5p6 6s2 4f13.
Excited state Thulium electronic configuration
The excited state electronic configuration of Tm is [Xe] 6s1 4f14.
Ground state Thulium orbital diagram
The ground state electronic configuration of Thulium is [Xe] 4f13 6s2. The orbital diagram representing distribution of electrons in Tm over energy levels is as under.
- The K shell in Tm holds maximum of 2 electrons.
- The L shell in Tm holds maximum of 8 electrons.
- The M shell in Tm holds of 18 electrons.
- The N shell in Tm holds 31 electrons.
- The O shell in Tm holds 8 electrons.
- The P shell in Tm holds 2 electrons.
Thulium belongs to 6th period. The electrons per shell of Tm is 2,8,18,31,8,2. It has oxidation states of 3,2. The valence configuration of Tm is 4f13 6s2.