Rhenium is a transition earth metal belonging to group 7 and period 6 of the d-block in the periodic table. Let us learn about the uses of Rhenium.
The industrial uses of rhenium are listed below:
- Chemical synthesis and reactions
- Rhenium is used to make alloys and superalloys. Rhenium-tungsten alloys are very ductile and can bear high temperatures.
- Re and platinum alloys are mixed in petroleum refineries to convert oils with low octane to high octane ratings.
- Re is a substitute for technetium alloys because of their similar chemical properties and Re is cheaper than technetium.
- Rhenium-tungsten and rhenium-molybdenum alloys are used in alloys that are used in x-ray machines and oven filaments.
- The alloys of rhenium works as electrical contact materials because they are resistive to corrosion and have less wear and tear.
- Rhenium is mixed with nickel to form alloys that are used in the making of turbine blades.
- Rhenium pentachloride (Re2Cl10) is not found commercially, but it was used as a catalyst in metathesis reactions in earlier ages.
- Rhenium trioxide (ReO3) is a hydrogenation catalyst used in amide reduction in organic chemistry.
- Rhenium oxide is used as a catalyst for only some specific reactions and conditions.
- ReO3 exceptionally has higher electrical conductivity when compared to other oxides.
- Rhenium hexafluoride is employed commercially in the electronics industry to deposit rhenium films on electronic parts.
- ReSe2 is potentially applied in electronics, semiconductors, thermoelectric and lasers due to its unsymmetrical lattice structure.
- Rhenium disulfide (ReS2) is used in electronic and optoelectronic devices.
Chemical synthesis and reactions
- Re2O7 works well in alkene metathesis and the formation of bis-peroxy acetals.
- Rhenium heptafluoride is used in the oil refining and etching process.
- Rhenium heptafluoride can produce several synthetic compounds in organic chemistry.
- Tri-rhenium nonachloride (Re3Cl9) works as a base material for the producing other rhenium compounds.
- ReBr4 is used in water treatment and crystal growth processes.
- Rhenium(VII) oxide is employed as a reagent of dehydration.
- Rhenium(VII) oxide (Re2O7) is found during the rearrangement of alcohols, amides, oximes and oxidative cyclization.
- Re is widely applied in the alkylation of organic compounds, reforming of petroleum feedstock and metathesis of alkenes.
- Rhenium diselenide is used to prepare ReSe2 nanoparticles and nanosheets of a few layers.
- ReS2 nanosheets and nanoparticles are used as a fabricator for field-effect transistors, energy storage and solar cell devices.
ReS2 is widely used in photocatalytic and electrocatalytic chemical reactions.
This article concludes that Rhenium metal is less abundant and is only available in a concentration of about 1 part per billion. Re has the third highest melting and boiling point in the periodic table. Re is found useful in many industries, chemical synthesis and modern machinery.