An element’s electronic configuration aids in understanding its valency, and predicting its chemical characteristics. Let us deal with the electronic configuration of Hafnium.
The electronic configuration of Hafnium, 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s23d104p6 5s2 4d10 5p6 6s2 4f14 5d2. Hf is found to be a d block element with atomic number is 72. It is denoted by a chemical symbol Hf. It is a grey coloured substance with lustrous appearance.
Hafnium is a tetravalent metal which has resemblance in various properties with zirconium. Let us discuss about the electronic configuration of Hafnium and other fact in the following section.
How to write Hafnium electronic configuration
The electronic configuration of an element can be drawn by shell wise and subshell wise. Let us look into the following steps.
- Step 1: Writing the shells involved
- Writing the number of shells involved in Hafnium is the primary step. There are 6 shells involved in Hafnium electronic configuration.
- Step 2: Determination of subshells
- There are four subshells like s,p,d,f.Two electrons can fit in the s orbital, whereas the p, d, and f orbitals can each store six, ten, or fourteen electrons.
- Step 3: Arrangement of subshells
- The orbitals are written in a way like 1s 2s 2p 3s… in agreement with Aufbau’s principle.
- Step 4: Electron filling in subshells
- The maximum number of electrons that each orbital can hold are placed into each orbital in this stage. The superscript indicates the number of electrons that an orbital can accommodate.
- Step 5 : Final electronic configuration of hafnium
- Here in Hafnium its atomic number 72 so the electronic configuration of Hafnium is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 4d10 5p6 6s2 4f14 5d2.
Hafnium electronic configuration diagram
The electronic configuration diagram of Hf as drawn on the basis of the number of electrons present in its various shells is 2,8,18,32,10,2.
Hafnium electron configuration notation
The electronic configuration notation of Hf is [Xe] 4f14 5d2 6s2 .
Hafnium unabbreviated electronic configuration
The unabbreviated electronic configuration of Hf is, 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 4d10 5p6 6s2 4f14 5d2.
Ground state Hafnium electronic configuration
The ground state electronic configuration of Hf is, 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 4d10 5p6 6s2 4f14 5d2.
Excited state of Hafnium electronic configuration
The excited state of Hf electronic configuration is, 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 4d10 5p6 4f14 5d2 6s1.
Ground state Hafnium orbital diagram
The ground state Hf orbital configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 4d10 5p6 6s2 4f14 5d2 .
The electronic configuration of Hafnium is explained with all other facts. Hafnium is significant element that is used as control rods in nuclear reactors, alloys, microprocessors and isotope geochemistry. The properties are similar to that of Zirconium.